Princess ky 3

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Date night and Super Bowl

Being in Las Vegas with out family is a blessing and a curse. I think it has been a blessing in that Mark and I have to lean on each other more, and we don't have the escape of family to run to in hard times. (Which is also a curse sometimes.) But then we don't have family around to celebrate the holidays or birthdays, or be with family for other events. It has also limited us in our dating, which has been virtually non existent. Mark is gone a lot, and then there is the issue of money, and getting a babysitter. We just haven't made it a big priority, but that is about to change I hope.
One, Mark's parents are buying a town house basically kitty corner to our home. They are already talking about having the kids sleepover every Friday night. And coming over and doing the gardening, and I don't know what else they think they will do. But one of the nice things about the town house they are buying is that it has an exercise room and a pool! This will be very nice for us in the summer time, and it is very close. I did worry how this will affect our relationship with them. I VT a lady who didn't get a long with her mother-in-law until she moved to Las Vegas. Now they are friends, but distance was the key for them. I worried this would be the case for me and my in laws, but I have prayed and have peace that this will be good for both of us. I hold on to that other wise I might be freaking out right now.
Two, there is a lady in our ward Alisa Jenkins, who Mark is their family home teacher, came over this week so we could get to know each other better, and let our kids play. She has a daughter Jade who is 3 1/2, and son who is 8 months, and she just found out she is pregnant. She was telling me how she has a sybling somewhere who trades babysitting for a date night. They have about 5 couples, and they trade off who is the babysitter while the rest of the couples go on a date. I thought it was a great idea. She had another couple who was supposed to join us, but they never brought their kids. So right now it is just us and the Jenkins, but I thought even if Mark and I only go out once a month that is one more time than we were doing before. So we went out on Saturday evening. I was fasting so we didn't want to go eat, and I got a text a 30 minutes into it that Alex hadn't stopped crying. We ended up just running errands, but at least we were together. I felt bad because when we picked them up, Alex had started crying again so for 2 of the 3 hours we were gone, they were dealing with a crying kid. Got a love separation anxiety.
We are not sports lovers in this house so it is very nice that on the Sabbath, we don't watch TV. I will watch a movie, or let the kids watch something that I approve of. But for the most part, I couldn't tell you who was playing, or who was on a team or any stats what so ever. We did decide to make kobe short ribs and won tons. Alex was doing this little turn with her head tilted. We called it the won ton dance. I just wish I would have taped it. So cute. And then for the last quarter, Mark and Sarah were watching the game. It was funny because Sarah isn't familiar with any of the lingo of football. So she was asking what a field goal is vs a touchdown. What 1st and 10 means, and what other things mean. I thought we are doing something right for her not to know this stuff, but maybe a disservice too. What if down the line she marries a sports aholic. But it was the New York Giants playing. So of course Mark being from New York, he was cheering for the Giants. I don't see Mark get into sports very often, but he had a good time with what he watched. Thank heaven the Giants won. It was a good game. Good times. I am so glad I don't have to do this all of the time. 1 hour once a year, I think I can handle that. Just don't get me started on Magic. That is another story entirely.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Sounds like fun super bowl party. We didn't watch it at all. I'm with you I don't like watching sports on t.v. Al only dose it a little around baseball season. I can hanle a little.

I hope the date nights get better with Alex. Maybe next time just go out for a half hour, then an hour, then longer. Her crying spells should get shorter.

Amy and Mike said...

Mer I love that you are blogging more. It is fun to hear about what you are doing. I wish we lived closer and then we could trade babysitting with you. I'm glad that you are going to hopefully have some more opportunities to go out with your hubby because it is important. We go a long time between dates as well and sometimes you just need to be together doing anything, even just running errands like you said. It's weird not having kids in the car though, strangely quiet. Yeah for a pool!! Are your inlaws moving out permanently or just so they have a place for when they come out. Those ribs and wontons sound super yummy.

Mandos said...

Alot of couples do the babysittng trade thing in my neighborhood. It works pretty good. I tried it for a little bit. But it seamed that with scotts crazy schedule we never could make it work for us. Now Ashlyn is old enough to babysit that has been nice.